Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Life Goes On...Random Facts About the Benfield's 5

*So we are finally home with Lucy...albeit a week after we thought we would be home originally. 

*We spent 3 weeks at Children's Hospital.  So glad to be out of there although with follow up visits and other issues that will eventually come up, it won't be the last we see of it.

*I have to admit being seriously stressed bringing her home.  She has her ng tube and her reflux meds to give and remembering this and that.  It felt like bringing a newborn home (even though she was 3 weeks) only amplified! 

*At first Lucy only took half her feedings by mouth and we would have to put the rest down her ng tube.  Not too long after being home though she began finishing all her bottles! 

*Breast feeding her hasn't really gone as well...her high arch palate and inability to breastfeed until a few weeks in age has been a real challenge for us.  So I am exclusively pumping for now.  I  go back and forth with what to do long term.  I would love to actually breastfeed but I don't want to make this my "fight" if you will.  Pumping is hard though...and I hate it...and it is hard to do it consistently while taking care of 3 kids.  I will do it as long as I can.  The important thing is she is growing and thriving at home. 

*Gillian and Lincoln are enamoured of sweet Lucy.  They love to sing and coo and fuss over her.  They love to help me take care of her!

*Lucy really is a good sleeper.  She LOVES to be held and this is something that I usually indulge her in because she had weeks of her life where she wasn't held.  (still makes me tear up)

*Even though Lucy is a good sleeper, she has "cranky" time each night between the hours of 6-8pm....which coincides with Lincoln's "cranky" time and Gillian's "cranky" time...which leads to MY cranky time.

*I am really tired.

*Right now our kids are totally obesessed with Star Wars...seriously.

*Life is really good right now.

Now, for your very much viewing pleasure:


Lucy loves to smile (but only at mommy so far).



Lucy's hair is a big curley fro when it is wet!


 haha!


'loving' bath time.

 

These two are the best big siblings!

3 comments:

Andrews family said...

Thanks for the update! I can't believe all that hair Lucy has! She puts Bella to shame. : ) I'm so glad you guys were able to bring her home and that she is doing so well.

Korryn said...

So glad she is finally home! get some sleep if you can and call me if you need to cry!

valumama said...

wow, Lincoln looks so big! Gillian's hair is so long... and what a crazy, scary time! All I could think as I read the post of her condition and surgery was, I am so grateful sweet Lucy was born in 2010! What a blessing it is to have the medical advancements we have!
I am so happy you are all home as one BIG family!
congratulations!